Improving your modern slavery statement: practical review and interactive masterclass
26 February @ 08:30 - 16:00
The end of the 2018 Financial Year is likely to be approaching. The UK Modern Slavery Act 2015 (MSA) requires businesses operating in UK (with a turnover of £36 million or more) to publish an annual modern slavery statement within six months after the end of the organisation’s financial year. In compliance with the MSA, companies are required to show the steps they have taken to eradicate modern slavery and human trafficking and demonstrate improvements on their previous MSA Statement.
The Guidance to the Act requires that companies improve their statements every year and are able to demonstrate their improvements every year.
This workshop, together with the review, is aimed to help organisations identify how to improve the steps they are taking to combat the risk of modern slavery in their organisations and supply chains.
What will be included in the price?
– A review of the participant companies modern slavery statement. Companies are encouraged to submit their draft statements for review by the given date.
– An interactive masterclass held under Chatham House rules Benchmarking of the statements of participant companies with reference to two other companies within their sector.
– Participants companies will receive a summary report setting out the steps they can take to improve their statement. The report will be provided a day prior to the workshop. Participants will be given a chance to discuss the report and its recommendations during the workshop and discuss challenges and opportunities posed by the feedback.
Who should participate?
Companies and organisations seeking to improve their modern slavery statements and those companies submitting a statement for the first time. Two participants from each company are welcome.
Objectives of the workshop:
- Participants will be able to identify what the legal requirements of the Modern Slavery Act are;
- Shared learning for participants on challenges faced in creating the modern slavery statement;
- Participants can describe the requirements of the steps organisations should take under the Act;
- Participants will have recommendations on how to improve their statement; and
- Participants will understand what due diligence procedures should be met to address the risk of modern slavery.
Date to submit statement
All statements must be submitted by 1 February 2019 by 17h00